Some times when all you want to do is check your email, update your Facebook status, and look at videos of cats on YouTube, a slow Internet connection can bring those plans to a screeching halt. With a slow Internet connection, many of the conveniences and luxuries of owning a PC become greatly limited. With increased reliance on the Internet, by a growing number of applications, having a fast and steady Internet connection is essential to your productivity. And I think that you will agree that there are very few things more aggravating than slow Internet speeds.
Why is my Internet So Slow?
There are a number of reasons why you could be suffering from slow Internet speeds. You may be inclined to hire someone for PC repair, but I urge you to resist. Anything they can do, you can do too, and it only takes a couple minutes. If you have just a minute of spare time, download a free copy of SpeedyPC. It will perform a quick diagnostic, and report any possible software errors that could be slowing you down.
Did you know? Your Internet connection might not have anything to do with the slow Internet speeds you are experiencing. There are a number of other reasons why your computer is running slow. To diagnose the problem, and find out why your computer is so slow, please consider running a free computer speed test.
So before you shell out that cash for a technician or a new router and modem, follow the simple instructions below, and you'll be back in action before you know it.
How To Speed Up Your Internet
The symptoms of a slow Internet connection are hard to diagnose. Luckily, because repairing your connection is so easy, you can simply and quickly go through the motions of fixing it, rather than spending time trying to figure out what is wrong. So, what should you do to fix a slow Internet connection?
1. Perform an anti-virus and malware scan using your preferred anti-virus software. We recommend SpeedyPC for anti-virus protection (free download). Remove any offending files that the scan uncovers. If no malware was found, move on to step two.
2. Unplug your modem and/or router for approximately 60 seconds. I'm not entirely sure why, but this will fix the problem about 90% of the time. Particularly when using the stock wireless router provided to you by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). If you are constantly having to restart your router/modem, you may consider buying a new one. See below for more information on purchasing a new router.
3. Modify or reset your firewall settings. Firewalls are an incredibly powerful tool for protecting your computer from the outside world. However, it could be responsible for many Internet slow-downs. In Microsoft Windows, Firewall settings can be reached by clicking on the Start Menu, selecting “Control Panel”, and then selecting “Windows Firewall” from the list. If you aren't familiar with configuring your firewall settings, you may consider restoring to the default settings, and slowly decrease your firewall strength until you internet speed returns.
4. Clean up excess temporary Internet files. Although temporary Internet files can actually help reduce web page loading times, neglecting to clean up temporary Internet files from time to time is likely to have a negative impact. Cleaning up temporary Internet files manually is quite simple. Web browsers like Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome (both free) give you even more control over your temporary Internet files, allowing you to clean up files by type, such as your cache, autocomplete, history, private data, and even extensions. That said, handy tools like SpeedyPC allow you to clean up temporary Internet files with even greater ease. Just point, click, and "Start Scan".
Did The Above Steps Still Not Fix Your Slow Internet?
If your Internet is still slow, even after following the above instructions, then your connectivity issues are likely the result of a faulty wireless Internet router, a problem with your computer itself, or something may be wrong on your Internet Service Provider(ISP)'s end.
Buying a New Wireless Router
Internet routers are used to divide a line to the world wide web, and distribute it to multiple computers. Routers are connected to your modem, which is likely connected to a cable line from the wall, and allow you to connect multiple devices, either by hard-wired Ethernet cables or via wireless capabilities.
Wireless routers, for reasons unknown, tend to be the most problematic pieces of computer hardware you'll ever have to deal with. You could hire a repair technician to fix a faulty wireless router, but more often than not, buying a new router is cheaper and produces better results.
Before you head to the store to buy a new one, first try connecting your computer directly to the modem via Ethernet cable. If, your Internet is still unbearably slow or not working at all, you'll have to get in touch with your ISP. If a wired connection does in fact restore your full Internet speeds, you can deduce that the problem is with your wireless router, and it should be replaced. A new wireless router is likely to cost anywhere between $20 and $75, depending on your specific needs.
The difference between the many different types of wireless routers is huge topic, one that is too long to be included in this article, but someone should be able to help you anywhere routers are sold.
How To Fix a Slow Computer
Sometimes slow Internet is actually the result of an overall slow PC. Computer problems like a messy Windows registry, an overabundance of background processes, virus and malware can take a toll on your computer's processor, but they can also have a significant impact on your Internet speeds.
Run a free scan on your computer using SpeedyPC to uncover what is responsible for your computer's poor performance, and clean up errors in one sweep with the utilities included in SpeedyPC.
Is your computer sluggish, making it hard to fully enjoy your PC? Take a free computer speed test, and discover how you can make your computer faster with just a few clicks.
FREE SPEED TEST
What Can SpeedyPC Do?
- Clean up errors in the Windows registry, and other key areas.
- Get better control over system resources in order to optimize PC performance.
- Speedy PC is easy to use, regardless of technical experience.
- Included BackUp utility makes optimizing your PC 100% safe and worry-free.
"SpeedyPC has reduced my startup time to a fraction of what it was before, and my PC generally runs faster and better."